Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Lupus and Me... yes me...

Hi, I am Joan Paula Ocol-Abella. I am 27 years old. I have been divorced for 3 to 4 years now. And I have Lupus.


I think I should write that every time, what do you think? I should I should own it. Remember that I do have it and it will be a long way and struggle to be better. I have lupus, lupus doesn't have me. OK, I might have gotten that from some cancer survival thing from long time ago, but whatever keeps me going right? Support guys. :)


First, this is what you need to know about Lupus. It is an autoimmune disease which no one knows why it happens to certain people, and how to end it.

Second, there are different kinds of Lupus, some minor or mild, some very aggressive and makes a lot of people very sick. I unfortunately, have the most common kind but if not followed up or treated right could make me end up in a very bad state. I have, wait for it, Systemic Lupus Erthematosus (SLE).



So, who does actually have Lupus? I know no one in my family having it. As I have researched before, here are the most common people who could have Lupus:

  • women
  • ages 25 - 40
  • asian, hispanic, african american
And I was like, "WHAT THE HECK?!? Is this disease targeting on me or what?"

this is what it said according to womenshealth.gov 
Anyone can get lupus. About 9 out of 10 adults with lupus are women ages 15 to 45. African-American women are three times more likely to get lupus than white women. Lupus is also more common in Latina, Asian, and Native American women. Men are at a higher risk before puberty and after age 50. Despite an increase in lupus in men in these age groups, two-thirds of the people who have lupus before puberty and after age 50 are women.
So dear women of the world, be careful. You may think you are very healthy but is not. 

Unlike other people, I have only been recently diagnosed with Lupus. Some people who had suffered great pain as they were growing up because of this disease have been living a normal life now, most probably. You see, Lupus is and will always be there, I was just diagnosed later or my "Flare ups" came in a little late. Maybe its the stress, maybe its the change of conditions in my surroundings. For the past year, there has been a lot of changes in my life, some good, some bad but it's a change. I think Lupus was my body's response to this change that this change is wrong for me.

I am Joan Paula Ocol-Abella, I am 27 years old. I have Lupus at the peak of my life.


Links/References:

  1. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0001471/
  2. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0004008/
  3. http://www.womenshealth.gov/publications/our-publications/fact-sheet/lupus.cfm#b

No comments:

Post a Comment